Friday, August 5, 2011

Mission: Minnie Mouse Cake

  A few weeks ago, my friend Tye asked me to make her daughter Cadence's birthday cake. I gladly excepted because I haven't done much baking since Luci was born. The cake turned out pretty well and everyone at the party seemed to enjoy it. 

Mission: Make Minnie Mouse theme cake to feed min 50 people. 
Colors: Hot pink, white and black


  I am super proud of how the cake topper turned out. Tye and I browsed some photos online and gathered ideas. My main focus was making sure the ear hat looked real and I really think I accomplished my goal. 


  The hat was made of rice crispy treats formed by one of my cereal bowl. I let it cure for a few days and then covered it was royal icing. Royal icing is like the cement of the cake decorating world. Since I wasn't able to apply it completely smooth I had to basically sand it smooth. I them had to make black fondant which was not easy. It took almost half of a Wilton black dye bottle to get a very small amount of fondant black. The ears are black fondant rolled thick, cut with circle pastry cutter and a lollipop stick inserted while wet. I had to use a nail to puncture a hole in the royal fondant.

For the bow I used a large circle of fondant and crimped it in the middle. 
The added a "ribbon" of fondant in the middle.

Pink royal icing polka dots in varying sizes.
They were dried for a few days. The added texture and 
a contrast of color.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream:



  I decided to go outside of my norm and make a Swiss meringue buttercream instead of traditional buttercream. While it was fun and challenging to make I won't use it for cakes again. Swiss meringue doesn't "crust" like a traditional buttercream. While fine for a cupcake it isn't so great for cake decorating.


The Top Cake Layer:
8 inch Chocolate Cake with Nutella Buttercream Filling.




Bottom Layer:
12 inch White cake with Traditional Buttercream


Tye managed to write Cadence's name in the Disney Font 
thanks to a great website we found (printers were not working).
I then traced it onto the hat and piped it on.

The Birthday Girl


Mission complete! 











  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cake not only looked amazing it was the best tasting cake we have ever had! Our friends were raving about it for weeks after. They even asked if they could come by for left overs! Thank you SO much Mel!