Friday, May 15, 2009

Learning a New Hobby

Six years ago, I decided I wanted to learn to knit. It seemed the whole world was getting into knitting and I felt left out. A lady I worked with was a great knitter and she said it was super easy. She showed me the basics and said it would take lots of practice. I had a book, supplies, needles and determination but it wasn't enough. Mike got a big kick out of watching me get so frustrated. Needless to say, the supplies got sold at a yard sale!
For anyone that doesn't know me well, I am a professed picker. My hands are constantly in motion playing with my hair, messing with my nails, picking at something, rubbing my fingers, scratching an itch or messing with my rings. This has been a huge problem for me my whole life and I have tried to control the urge. Stress just makes everything worse!
Last year I got another itch but this time it was to learn how to crochet. Again, I bought a "teach yourself" book and yarn, got my hopes up and failed again! I am the type of person that has to be shown how to do something. The instructions might as well have been written in french! Thankfully, last week my friend Brooke's mom was in town and knows how to crochet. She brought all her stuff and promised to try teaching me the basics. Thankfully, she is a retired special-ed teacher and good at what she does!

I am still working hard, trying to be consistent, but not sure why it seems to be getting smaller! But hopefully I will figure it all out soon. Crocheting is pretty relaxing. Check back to see how it's going.

No comments: