Tuesday, March 29, 2011

New Mel Approved Recipes

I have challenged myself to start making some of the recipes in the magazines I get in the mail. Most people get a subscription to a food magazine for cooking purposes but I get them for the articles and pictures. Change is good right?

I have two recommendations for you this week from Everyday Rachael Ray March issue. The Orzo Risotto with Spring Greens was very easy and yummy. In the magazine it is presented as a main dish but I would recommend it as a side dish to a protein. We just didn't find it filling enough for a main dish. The next time I make it I plan to add more cheese. (We love cheese!)

The Chicken with Wine recipe was a hit with Liam and I but Mike just found it "ok". I do think this one lacked a little something but it could be because I didn't have the shallot the recipe called for or any onion to substitute. Liam enjoyed it because it was sweet due to the red wine. This is supposed to be a lighter recipe for Coq Au Vin but I had to add some extra oil and butter because my mushrooms were dry. Over all though it was a winner with me.

The problem I have now is finding side dishes that pair well with my new recipes. RR doesn't give suggestions. I think I will shoot them an email and let them know what I think. Hope you enjoy these recommendations and please send me your favorite recipes to try.

No comments: