Friday, February 26, 2010

Stressful Shopping

Since moving to the Uk in January I have done the bulk of my grocery shopping on base at the commissary. It's not my first choice but it is nice being able to use my coupons and get all the items I am used to from home. Plus, hitting the commissary is easy since I am on base about 3 times a day. But I really do prefer buying my fruit, veg and meat products from a local grocery store. My personal preference is Waitrose. It's located in Ely right at the city centre. We go to Ely at least once a week and it give me a chance to pop in and grab some yummy goods. There is also a place in Ely called Tesco. Waitrose is very much like Publix's or Harris Teeter while Tesco is equal to Walmart (although Asda is the UK Walmart and I haven't been to one yet). There is something about Tesco that stresses me out. No...let me rephrase that; Shopping in the UK stresses me out!!!

Everyone in this country is in a hurry and on a mission. You never see anyone in a UK grocery store (at least the ones I have been in so far) with a grocery list or reading labels. A lot of times I am gently nudged out of the way by a stranger wanting to be where I am standing. No one smiles or says hello. DO NOT GET ME WRONG: there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the above. I personally enjoy strolling around the grocery store checking things off my list, finding the best deal and checking out new stuff. I am also way to nice to knock people's carts out of the way. Maybe I can find a training course that will teach me to shop a little more aggressively?

One more little thing I need to get off my chest: the UK shopping carts. Have you ever been to Ikea? While at Ikea have you ever grabbed one of their shopping carts to push around and fill with your finds? The shopping carts go sideways not forward and are a BITCH to push around a crowded store. I really, really dislike them can you tell?

Today, since Mike is home sick, I decided to run to Tesco and pick up some things for the weekend. I honestly thought it wouldn't be bad since it was before noon on a Friday. Silly me for thinking most people would be working! Tesco is so much like Walmart in that respect. The parking lot is always full and you wonder who in the World is working! I ended up being there for one hour. The aisles were packed with people sliding around their junky UK carts. By the time I made it to the car I could feel my heart racing!

I'm not sure I will be going to Tesco again! Or should I force myself to go there weekly as a type of therapy? Check back and see if I have what it takes to shop with the locals!

No comments: