Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Scones: Take One

Now that we are living in England I thought I should start making scones. I have always enjoyed a nice blueberry scone from Starbucks but haven't been able to find those here yet. Seems that cheese and raisin are the preferred flavor. Last night on Masterchef Australia they made scones and the recipe actually made since to me. I hate that most cooking shows here use a scale and weigh ingredients. I refuse to buy a scale! It's an extra step and one more thing to clean. Here's the recipe and it can be used for both savoury or sweet. If making a savory omit the sugar, fruit and zest.

150 mL milk
150mL cream
1 egg
3C. self rising flour
2Tbsp sugar

1C. fruit
zest 1 lemon

Combine ingredients. Turn out onto floured surface and give a gentle knead, flatten and cut into shape. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with sugar.Bake 10-15 min at 200C


I made them way too big and ugly! Plus my convection oven does not bake evenly and it's driving me nuts! I hope that my next attempt looks better. Thankfully they taste yummy!

No comments: