Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sassy Barbie Cake...Complete!





This cake is my second attempt using marshmallow fondant. I am still not very good at rolling it out evenly and getting it on the cake. Like most things, I am sure a lot more practice would be to my benefit. All in all I am very happy with how this cake turned out. I love the contrast of shiny and matte and I am very happy with how the zebra print looks.
  Here's the breakdown on this cake:

6 in. round top layer, devils food with pink butter cream between layers
10 in. round bottom layer, devils food with pink butter cream between layers
2 batches of marshmallow fondant ( white and pink)
Wilton Edible Glitter
Wilton Edible Silver Simmer Powder
Wilton Piping Gel (used as glue for all pieces and them to coat bottom layer for shine)


White fondant dots

I mixed the silver shimmer with clear vanilla and painted the white  dots.
I made this 5 out of fondant using a template cut from Barbie font.
I let this dry for a few days.

I then coated the 5 with piping gel and sprinkled with Edible Glitter.

For the zebra print, I used a pizza cutter to cut random shapes. It helped
looking at a zebra skin. I then used a paint brush and piping gel to glue strips on.
(do this before adding your second layer of course)

When dry I painted the whole bottom layer with the piping gel to make it shiny and
hide all the spots I got a little crazy with gel.
The dots are glued on with the piping gel as well.
And this is the Barbie that inspired it all.  I was going to add
a finishing trim around the bottom of each layer but nothing
looked right.




No comments: