Saturday, June 26, 2010

Italy Trip

My husband very kindly booked a trip for me to go to Italy for a weekend of cooking classes. The trip is ran by a company that operates Italian "restaurants" in the overseas commissaries called Gourmet Italia. Larry Pisoni , the owner of the company, is born and raised Italian and is married to wonderful woman, Carol who is from the DC area. They have been doing these cooking classes all over Italy for the last 20 years with a focus on the Mediterranean Cuisine.

Our class was pretty large and full of American Military and Govt Contractors from all over Europe. Everyone was very nice and they made the trip even better. Our weekend took place in the Asiago area of Italy and we stayed at a wonderful hotel. My travel companion flaked at the last minute so I got a big room all to myself.

The view from my balcony.





The cooking classes were more like demonstrations with some hands on. I was very happy that Marco (our chef) taught us how to make gnocchi and risotto. I have attempted risotto once but wasn't sure if it was done properly. Marco used red wine to make the risotto and it was fantastic!




Every meal involved a lot of food! Lunch was three courses (the third being desert) and dinner was usually four or five courses. I have never eaten so much in such a short span of time! At least I can claim pregnancy for the tummy I developed.

Our class also went to an Asiago cheese factory. As a known cheese lover it was like going to heaven!
This is the ageing/storage room that had to be almost three stories tall.

Overall it was a wonderful trip and a great experience. I am very happy Mike made me go on this trip and hope to be forced to take more trips in the future!

This will take you to all the photos I took over the course of the trip.
Italy Cooking Trip





No comments: