Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Homemade" Pizza






One of my favorite foods in the World is Pizza! When I lived with my parents Friday night was always pizza night and I got into making it all from scratch! My Aunt Linda's neighbor in Virginia Beach was the most amazing Italian woman! Lillian lived right next door and every memory I have of spending time in Virginia Beach at my Aunt's house involves Lillian. She was the type of neighbor people dream of having. She's hilarious, a FABULOUS cook, and great company on the front porch. I was so sad when she moved to Florida! Any who! Lillian gave me her pizza dough and sauce recipe when I was young. I made it a few times and then started adding my own flare. I think I became quite the pizza maker. When I went off to college my cooking and baking ended. Now that I am a Domestic Goddess and I cook often I love making my own pizza rather than spend $20 every Friday.

Shortcuts are always nice and I have a few to share. For the "homemade" dough I use Rhodes White Bread dough from the freezer section of your grocery store. I always find mine at Walmart. Three loaves of dough for usually $2.50. One loaf of the dough is enough to make a couple pizzas. See the pictures above. All pizzas came from one dough "ball". I also make my own sauce. Store bough sauce would be fine but I am not a fan. I simply use one can of diced tomato and one tiny can of tomato sauce. If you prefer a smooth sauce with no chunk action use one can of tomato sauce. There is always sauce leftover and it's great on pasta.
You will also need some olive oil, garlic (1 or 2 cloves finely chopped), little Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, fresh basil, and red pepper flake if you like a little kick. Heat a little Olive oil over medium/medium low. Add the Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and garlic. Do not let the garlic brown. After the garlic cooks for a few seconds add your tomatoes and stir. Reduce heat to simmer and let it cook away for a little while. After it reaches a thickness you like, taste and season to your taste. I Chiffonade my basil and add to sauce off the heat. Stir in and let the sauce sit and come down to room temp before using.
Another secret: I use a pampered chef baking stone. I do not own the pizza stone but I use my large bar pan. I put my stone in the oven and then heat my oven to around 425-450. Have all your ingredients ready. Shape your dough, open oven and place dough on the stone and then add sauce and toppings. Bake for around 5-10 min. Just keep an eye on it. Enjoy!
Hope these shortcuts work for you and that you enjoy!

No comments: